Friday, April 13, 2007

WhaT a StarT

I have been on job for over a month now, the experience has been bad. I could not work and I could not perform. My first job in a very good company, I have goofed it all up. What I am writing today here is what I have done in the company in the past one month.

I was very excited about my first job, this was my first interview in my MBA course and I cracked it and got a job. However I was told by my seniors a job that I need to perform since no company would like non-performers and that is what I am after a month- A non-performer.

My boss has been very supportive. He is a straightforward guy and talks what he feels on face. He has not liked the way of my working from the start. He has told me this many times but I have not been able to get it. He says I am not able to get in the “groove” what the job demands and I am probably the wrong person at the right place. I was given a project to work on, which I could have done but I took it lightly and the project failed.

I had a talk with a senior colleague of mine who shares a good rapport with me. I did this since I was not able to cope up with the professionalism the people in my group could. He told me that I am highly unorganized in my working and I am not able to multi task work. There is no denying that I don’t do work, but then when I am working on something and I am given some other work, I stop on what I am currently working on and start working on that which should not be done. Also I need to change my approach which is highly pessimistic. When taking some work, rather than finding ways of doing it, I find ways of how the work would not be done and hence I could not do this project.

My boss thinks I am absolutely lazy, who does not want to do work i.e. hard work. Well in a sense, he is right. I did not give my 100% to what I did for this project. The bottom line ultimately is I could not perform which was due to the fact that I took my job lightly. My boss says he is very disappointed with my working, something he has been telling me since quite some time, he even told me to quit. I then asked him what the problem was, he told me that I am doing this because if I don’t shout at you now, you won’t change your working style and will be like this throughout your career. He even told me to the extent that he would the other colleague of mine in getting him out of something when he is stuck while he wont help me coz I wont putting in efforts myself.

Its one month now, I have not able to get a single penny of business for my company. The other colleague, who joined with me, has worked hard and his feature is out today while my job is at stake. My boss says he has lost all trust in me, he thinks I won’t be able to do any feature and in fact he also told me, I hope that you change and prove me wrong and do your next feature.

Analyzing what has happened in the past one month, I have become aware of how my approach has been, pessimistic, something which I will “change”. Yes it will take time; this break for exams will help me out.

Until that till his point of time one word can describe what I m feeling- “Disgusted”. No one till now would have seen me like this, but then “Life me bahot kuch first time hota hai”

No comments: